From the time we were kids, we learned that having rats is not a good thing to have hanging around your house because they create unhealthy living conditions.
So how to do get rid of rats or mice right now.
1. REMOVE RAT FOOD SOURCES: When there is no more easy food to eat, they move on.
- Do not leave pet dishes outside overnight.
- Cover garbage cans every night.
- Install a seed catcher that will contain all seed that drops from your bird feeder.
- If you have rabbits or birds in pens, cover all food, remove all spillage, keeping the pens clean.
- In your kitchen, keep it clean, seal all food, leave nothing like bananas out overnight.
2. REMOVE RAT WATER SOURCES: When they don't have a water source, they move on.
- Repair all plumbing leaks immediately.
- Reshape your outside drainage to remove standing water pooling.
3. GET A CAT or DOG or FERRET:
- All three of these animals will seek and try to destroy rats for their fun and you benefit from that.
4. SEAL UP ALL HOLES INSIDE AND OUTSIDE:
- Seal all holes around pipes, vents, foundations, trailer skirts with caulk or wire netting, or boards.
5. CLEAN UP YOUR PROPERTY:
- Remove places they nest such as old cars, piles of tires, brush piles, compost bins, wood piles, and trim all grass and bushes near the house.
6. INSTALL A COMMERCIAL SONIC DEVICE: These devices emit sounds you will not be able to hear...but they drive the rat out of the area.
- These devices are effective in the short term but appear to become less effective over time as the rat gets used to the abuse sounds. These and similar devices are available on the internet and sometimes locally.
7. DROWN THE RATS:
- If you can find the burrows leading to their nests, fill it with water and then close the entrance with dirt. Smoke bombs, gas, or other similar remedies are not recommended because the tunnels will likely lead under your house.
8. POISON THE RATS:
- Toxic Bait Stations: These commercial baits must be safely placed away from pet or child access and will kill the rat over several days. The baits are available locally and on the internet.
- Non toxic baits: These are also available on the internet and sometimes locally.
9. TRAP THE RATS: Remember they are disease carriers, wear gloves if you touch them. Baits suggested are nut meat, bacon, and dried fruit. The bait should be tied to the trap trigger and the trap placed unset but for several days. This increases the probability that the rat will return to feed and not be afraid of the trap.
- Snap Traps: The rat is dead. Put rat and trap in plastic bag and place in garbage.
- Live Traps: The rat or rats are alive. Drown or relocate them far far away.
- Glue Traps: This is a live trap that they stick to. Drown or place trap and rat in sealed plastic bag and place into trash.
- Electric Traps: Similar to snap traps, these expensive traps kill 1 at a time.
10. HIRE A PRO: If any of this seems more than you can handle (or stomach), rely on a professional pest control exterminator to do the job for you. Their phone numbers are listed in the local phone directory. These specialists can also be contacted from the information found on their websites on the internet.