Chiggers. Redbugs. Red Bugs. Red mites. Jiggers.
Check out the chigger picture. The chigger photo shows a Chigger red and orange. Chiggers appear to dig into your skin which creates red spots...chigger symptoms...and then itch like crazy just like a bad insect bite.
But chiggers don't actually dig in...but it looks like it and who cares anyway, as the new chigger home will be fine with the chigger and your chigger itch will be the sign the chigger is happy.
You need a magnifying glass to see the chigger insect and the chigger bug is so small that many people call them tiny lobsters.
Those tiny chigger bites that look like red spots will torment you with an intense itch that never ends...while the chigger insect quietly feeds on the fluids in your skin. The itch is so bad that some have reported they keep scratching a phantom itch long after the chiggers are gone.
Chiggers die or drop off after several days of feeding on you...leaving you with that nasty itch and red welt.
CHIGGER PREVENTION and CHIGGER CONTROL:
- CHEMICAL: Spraying or dusting a yard or similar area with a pesticide (cyfluthrin) is the primary way to kill chiggers. Repeated applications of this pest control agent in your yard and adjacent wild areas will control chiggers for a season. This pesticide is available locally or on the internet and is an effective chigger remedy.
- ORGANIC or NATURAL: Spreading sulfur around the yard sends the chiggers away. Also beneficial nematodes will help you get rid of chiggers.
- Fire ants also eat chiggers but it is your choice as to which pest you want hanging around.
- Some folk have said they use a propane torch to get rid of them. Interesting method for something you can't see.
- Cedar granules have also been reported as an effective natural pest control agent for chiggers.
If you have the itch, it is too late.
But we are told that DEET and other repellents have to be worn when you are about, knee high rubber boots, and bathe as soon as you can to wash off any that haven't attached to you yet, to be as free as possible from the chigger assault.
CHIGGER TREATMENT: Put nail polish on them, or a solution with dissolved aspirin, or alcohol wipes, or anti itch products like hemorrhoid creams that you can purchase...all aim to turn that tormenting itch...off.
We have been bitten and the chigger itch is tormenting.