Snapping turtle. A snapping turtle lives up to its name.
The snappers mouth is a super strong weapon that will do serious damage if you get to close.
Snapping turtles get very big and very strong.
Many snapping turtles survive hits on the road by cars...we actually saw one up North that had the tires tracks imprinted into its shell and the tracks were covered with moss...so it was hit long ago.
Snapping turtles become pests when:
- they wander through your yard looking for a place to lay their eggs. Any small children present are at risk of being seriously injured from a bite from this ugly prehistoric looking snapping turtle.
- they take up residence in your fish pond and begin eating those expensive fish you purchased to enjoy.
If you have a snapping turtle in your yard now...what do you do?
- Pick it up by its tail if you dare and if it is not so heavy as to take 2 of you to lift it, put it in a box, and relocate it miles away.
- Pick it up with a long handled shovel and relocate it.
- You could shoot it and eat it (yum...snapper soup) or as the Down East folk do, squash it with a tire with a car attached to it, then bury it.
- Call a pest control specialist or a animal control officer to take it away.