The coyote or coydog or "little wolf" is not normally a pest.
Coyotes do a world of good eating rodents for the farmer and in many urban areas nationwide.
As solitary individuals, coyotes roam wide areas searching for food. Coyotes love to howl and at night when the coyotes are active, and they howl...their sounds often sounding somewhat like a baby crying.
They weigh from 15 to 50 pounds.
As opportunists, coyotes adapt to the human environment easily and the coyote numbers keep growing as they do.
So when are coyotes a pest?
- Ask any farmer who has lost fowl or goats or rabbits...and they will tell you why pest control for coyotes is required on their farm.
- Ask any homeowner who has lost a cat or other small pet or had his pet food stolen every night....or can't sleep because the coyotes howling keeps him awake.
How to keep coyotes away from your backyard:
- keep pet food inside overnight, every night (coyotes will steal that food right off a porch in the dark)
- don't feed the stray cats (coyotes love to dine on cats, so if you don't feed the strays, the coyotes will look elsewhere for their fast food
- actively reduce your rodent population (take away the coyote food source)
- secure all garbage cans and their lids (again lock up this food source)
- remove fruit that has fallen off the tree (take their food before they get it)
- keep your grasses cut short (it removes a place for this timid animal to hide)
- fence the coyotes out (out of the garden, or yard, or elsewhere
- get a very large watch dog, turn on bright lights, or install motion activated loud sudden perhaps human sounds
- purchase an odor deterrent which are normally made from the urine of an animal that is a natural predator of the coyote
If the above suggestions don't work, then these techniques below may be in order.
- Poison: Many people use rat poison to get coyotes in one of two ways. Anticoagulant poison...the rats eat the poison and the coyotes eat the rates which transfers the poison to the coyote which kills the coyote. Or...you can use a different kind of poison on the rats, a type that bursts the rats stomach and it dies. However in this way, you are reducing the number of rats, and the coyotes leave the area because there is not enough food, you didn't harm the coyotes.
- Shooting: If it is legal and you can do it safely, dispatch the coyote. You may even be able to get a few dollars for the pelt.
- Live Trap the coyote: This is hard to do because they are very wary animals. If they smell even the slightest human odor on the trap, you won't catch the coyote. If you use a trap, place it over a hole with raw meat in the hole parially buried. When you catch the coyote, what do you do next. Relocation is not recommended by the authorities...euthanization is.