They both bite you at the beach, picnic grounds, on the farm.
Horse flies and green head flies are very aggressive and they leave nasty bites. Because they are so big their nickname is "flying sharks".
These are the 6 best ways on the planet describing how to get rid of horse flies and how get rid of green head flies.
1. Use natural organic or chemical repellents: Most are not usually good for more than an hour or so, if at all. There are repellents specifically designed for these type flies for stable and beach use. They are available locally or on the internet.
2. Avoid their areas during early morning and late afternoon: The flies are much less active during the middle of the day.
3. Avoid their areas on a calm day: The flies do not like the wind, so a windy day means no nasty greenhead flies or horse flies to bit you.
4. Stay up high: Those lifeguards in the towers at the beach know what they are doing. Most of these flies never fly higher than 3 feet off the ground. So getting friendly with a lifeguard is one of your options to be free from the flies.
5. Build a trap (DIY): Instructions on how to build a fly trap to get rid of most of them can be found at the web site www.rci.rutgers.edu. Of course this only applies to the few who own a beach.
6. Leave the area: Yes unfortunately, this is your last and best choice. Sit in the car. Go in the house. Put screens between you and the greenhead and horse flies.
For more information, visit our page about smaller flies. Some of the methods found there may be applied to these larger flies.