The time to get rid of them is now.
1. RECOGNIZE LICE: Knowing what lice and their eggs (called nits) look like, looking in the kids hair regularly at bath time, and understanding the lice time line life cycle of about 22 days from egg to adult, is basic to getting rid of lice. Recognize the signs of lice in your or their hair...repeated scratching especially behind the ears and nape of the neck.
2. REALLY TRY TO PREVENT LICE: Teach kids the importance of not sharing hats, clothes, scarfs, head bands, towels, and other personal items and that head to head contact is how they spread to you.
3. COMB THE LICE OUT OF YOUR HAIR: Use a very fine tooth comb to get the lice and nits out, and because they are actually glued to your hair, they don't comb out easily. You can buy a comb designed for this very purpose and even a kit for total lice removal either locally or from an internet website. There is a electronic comb available as well. Boil all brushes or combs to eliminate them from the reintroducing the lice.
4. SHAMPOO THE LICE AWAY: The old time remedies are not very effective...cooking oil, mayonnaise, vinegar, Petroleum jelly, and regular soaps.
Shampoo your hair with insecticidal soap, or soap that is commercially available for that purpose, either as a separate product or within a kit. In most cases, you let it work its magic for 10 minutes and then rinse it out.
Repeat this process 10 days later to remove the adults that were eggs when you did the prior treatment. It is extremely important to follow the directions exactly.
5. VACUUM THE LICE AWAY: Sucking up lice and eggs from your rugs and other surfaces will help prevent them.
6. WASH THE LICE AWAY: Washing clothes, towels, hats, and personal items will kill the lice if the water is hot enough and if they don't die, they will be swimming in your drainpipes instead of migrating back to your head. Those that are alive when the clothes reach the dryer will be killed at 140 degrees.
7. CUT YOUR HAIR: The shorter your head hair the less likely you are to re acquire lice. Bald is not necessary, but bald does remove their ability to call you home. A shorter hair style should be considered.
8. SPRAY THE LICE: Apply a commercial lice killing spray on mattresses, pillows, furniture, etc to rid those surfaces of the lice. These sprays are available from a local store or may be purchased on the internet.
9. SMOTHER THE LICE: Toys, stuffed animals, and other similar things can be sealed in a plastic bag and reopened in 4 weeks. Or if they fit in the freezer, that kills them as well.