There are many types and most are harmless. But there are a few who are quite dangerous...the well known black widow and the brown recluse.
Both of these spiders are so dangerous, we have a special page on each for you to learn about them.
On with the rest of the spiders you have around the house and yard.
- Garden Spiders or Orb Weavers
- Grass Spiders or Funnel Weavers
- Flower Spiders or Crab Spiders
- Hunting Spiders or Sac Spiders
- Dwarf Spiders
- Wolf Spiders
- Lynx Spiders
- Jumping Spiders
What makes them so bad that they are called pests and require pest control?
Because they get in our way with their webs that feel yucky and...their look as they creep or crawl along...and even worse...crawl on us when we don't know it...especially in bed. These are behaviors that are harmless but we will not tolerate it from the spiders.
So how do you get rid of spiders?
Natural and organic pest control: The key is to deny them food inside so they have to go outside to get their meals of ants, flying insects, roaches, and so forth.
- Use sticky traps to catch the spiders you already have.
- Vacuum the spiders, eggs and webs regularly, including attics and cellars.
- Use yellow lights and turn down the intensity of other lights outside to attract fewer flying insects for the spiders to eat.
- Burn firewood you bring into the house right away because they are almost always hiding in the crevices of the wood.
- Trim weeds, cut grass, remove trash, and bushes touching the house...a good yard maintainance routine is important.
- Have tight fitting screens and door sweeps and inspect them frequently.
- Good sanitation inside the house means no ants, roaches, insects...all of which are food that spiders need if they want to live inside. If the bugs are not there, the spiders move elsewhere.
Chemical pest control: Only use when necessary.
- Spray or dust a pesticide around the perimeter of your house inside and outside, placing it in all the crevices, behind bookcases, in closets, and under things like sinks.
- Call a pest control specialist. They will have stronger longer lasting pesticides and insecticides to use than you are able to purchase.